return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
$50 banner pool - click here

RE: For bsartin: Any update on (gravid?) Sav

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Monitors ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: FR at Thu Jan 19 10:45:57 2012  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by FR ]  

I actually don't know what to tell you.

The problem is most likely not nesting, If you have a female and she has cycled, theres more problems to be concerned with then nesting.

Althought always having good nesting choices is a wise thing.

I would take her to the vet and have her Xrayed or ultra-sounded.

You need to find out the problem before you can apply a cure.

I hate to tell you, but in most cases like yours, they lose the female.

As husbandry got better for Iggies, my vet was seeing lots of females with egg retention problems. Most people lost them if they were not taken to the vet. Again, this is a report, not what is possible.

The vet normally spayed the females and all was well.

There is a fella here on this site that has a Blackthroat that was spayed many years ago and has remained a wonderful healthy pet.

If your intentions is not to breed them, I suggest you go that route. If not, your going to have a strong possibility of losing her, EVERY FEW MONTHS, if you keep her healthy.

If your intentions are to breed her, then your already to late and still have a strong possibility of losing her.

The problem with varanids is, they have a very particular nesting drive. Up to and including Type of soil. If its not the right type of soil for ground nesters, then it makes no difference if you have deep nesting or nest boxes or whatever. They simply have a strong desire to nest in certain types of soil.

There are many many misconceptions and discussion over nesting, but most have no real experience. The reality is, these animals know and recognize what to nest in, just by smelling it. They do not dig and dig and dig.(test digging) When that occurs, its normally to late, as in, its panic time, lay or die.

Also a huge area of debate about nest boxes is the name. You put some manner of box in a cage and call it a nest box. The problem is, you call it that. The concern is, what does the monitor call it.

The term nest box should be past tense. that is, you can call it a nest box after the female successfully nests in it. Up until then, its simply a box. And thats what the monitor recognizes it as. I hope you understand that.

As mentioned, theres more to it then a BOX with dirt. Humidity, lite levels, temps, security, etc are all very important. Simply put monitors have a very long gestation, so they place their eggs in very secure places, and I don't care if its a termite mound or deep in a burrow. Those places must have all the things mentioned above in order for the monitor to lay in.

One area thats so often ignored is lite levels, monitors simply do not nest in areas where theres lite. It must be totally dark is SUCCESS is to be achieved.

Anyway, I do not like these situations where good husbandry can cause problems and the loss of an animal. If your female is gravid, you did a great job supporting that, but are totally unprepared for the next step. Which is a critical one. Good luck

This little thing hatched yesterday.hahahahahahaha

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: For bsartin: Any update on (gravid?) Sav - Paradon, Fri Jan 20 02:36:58 2012
>> Next Message:  RE: For bsartin: Any update on (gravid?) Sav - Paradon, Fri Jan 20 03:02:45 2012

<< Previous Message:  RE: For bsartin: Any update on (gravid?) Sav - bsartin, Wed Jan 18 23:02:19 2012