return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Morph Understanding for newbs?

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Corn Snakes ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: DMong at Sun Jan 22 15:52:06 2012  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by DMong ]  

Cool,...in my opinion, breeding rule #1 would be to remember that it is much more beneficial and far more responsible to the mainstream hobby and the other countless snakes in other people's collections to breed cornsnakes to cornsnakes, and Cal. kings to Cal. kings, and any other type to it's same species/subspecies....be it a normal or a genetic morph. As time goes by you will learn that crosses and hybrids that are not obvious later on when they have varying percentages of either parent's outward look (phenotype) many of those will simply dilute and infect other collections around the country as they are sold and distributed around the country and bred to whatever kind of snake these other people think they "seems" to best represent at any given time. How about thinking of breeding some of the countless corn morphs or Cal. king morphs out there in the hobby. There isn't any need to make your very first venture into the herpetocultural arena a huge botch.

If you don't understand this right now, this is very understandable, but that is really going in a very opposite and counter-productive direction when you could easily go the other way and produce some very interesting authentic and genuine types of snakes that won't be frowned upon by many folks in the hobby. The fscination with breeding two opposite types of snakes together is mo big deal at all. What is much more interesting and rewarding is producing some awesome and possibly very different REAL STUFF you can be very proud of.

I am stating this simple advice from having over 45 years of experience in the hobby with countless thousands of snakes owned, worked with, and bred.

Now there are generally two to three types of hobbyists.

1) The people that are all for crossing and hybridizing anything.

2) The people that don't really care either way.

3) The people that are adamantly against it so that others in the hobby can enjoy real species/subspecies without having to wonder what the heck their snakes really are. The way I see it is what make the problem even worse than it already is.....and believe me....it is absoluterly RAMPANT and has been for many years already...

I would say go get some decent inexpensive books to read on corns, and another inexpensive one on Cal. kings, and in the meantime go to this link and check out some cornsnake types, them google up some Cal. king sites as well. You can also sell either seperate type of snake much more readily than you can sell a crossed hybrid snake too. There will be plenty of people that will not like my advice, maybe even you too, but there are far more in the hobby that know what I mentioned is an absolute fact.

Anyway, here are just some of the countless types you could work with if you wanted to........many other types in the menu on the left as well.

For understanding recessive genetics, simple do a google search with key words..."snake genetics" and zillions of hits will appear. For some other Cal. king morphs, check out one of my friend's sites........

lonesomevalleyreptiles.com

colubrid morphs

-----
"a snake in the grass is a GOOD thing"

serpentinespecialties.webs.com

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  racks - keng1111, Mon Jan 23 09:57:47 2012
<< Previous topic:  My corn sanke vid. - snakeeyes1618, Wed Jan 18 10:46:19 2012