return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Polar Rodents - US based provider of frozen rats and mice.
$50 banner pool - click here

RE: here is where it belongs, hahahaha

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Monitors ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: crocdoc2 at Mon Feb 6 19:38:56 2012  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by crocdoc2 ]  

Glad you joined in, FR, so we can discuss this and others can learn from it.

In response to your queries, here's a rough outline of lace monitor range with the tropical part indicated in red.

If we were to discuss your lace monitors, FR, based on pattern and colouration my guess is that your founder stock came from the blue/purple bit. Your original male, George, would have been from somewhere near the Brisbane area (around half way down the range) and your original female, Gracie, from somewhere in southern NSW (around three quarters of the way down).

FR: So to me, your saying your Southern lacies may be termite nesters, but surely they are not obligate termite mound nesters. Not as a species or even your local Lacies.

I wouldn't say that, as I happen to think the local lacies are obligate termite mound nesters. Winters here are too cool for the eggs to survive otherwise.

FR: I asked you this question many years ago, How many lacies lay eggs each and every year, in their whole range? how many lacie nests have been recorded? To make it simple, there are tens of thousands of lacies nesting yearly, yet only a handful of mound nests have been discovered.

You know, FR, you've never actually asked me that question. I'm aware that you've posted a number of times that you had and that my response was 'eight'. I don't know where you'd got that number from, but if it was from me it was likely in response to an entirely different question, for I would never have responded that the total number of termite mound nests ever found was eight.

That aside, and in answer to your question, the number of lace monitor nests found in termite mounds would be in the hundreds, if not thousands. Keep in mind that it isn't just herpers that see them, but some zoos with large bird collections remove chunks of mounds to feed termites to their small birds and farmers occasionally knock mounds over when clearing land. I've just recently learned that in parts of Queensland, farmers are meant to have reptile aware observers on hand when removing mounds, in case there are nests within. The eggs are usually taken to a particular vet that's into reptiles for later release.

By comparison, the number of reliable reports of lace monitors nesting in situations other than within a termite mound currently stands at 0 (zero).

FR:The reality is, many individual monitors lay eggs in termite mounds, for the reasons you mentioned. But those monitors also nest in many other ways as well..

Actually, until proven otherwise, the reality is that they nest in termite mounds. Even if other examples are found, those lace monitors will be the outliers, displaying an uncommon behaviour. If one were to talk about what this species 'does', it would be nesting in termite mounds. In other words, if someone were to join the forum today and have reliable proof of a wild lace monitor nesting elsewhere, the numbers would then be thousands in termite mounds to one elsewhere.

FR: yet only a handful of mound nests have been discovered. Consider, termite mound nests leave a taletail scare, so they are identifiable.

Yes.

I have dozens of photographs like these but only a few uploaded onto my photo hosting site at the moment. Some of these are test digs into dead termite mounds, others are fresh digs into live termite mounds. For the latter one just needs to know where to look and at what time of year. In a good year a healthy termite colony will repair the hole pretty quickly, but it is still identifiable if one knows what one is looking for.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: here is where it belongs, hahahaha - crocdoc2, Mon Feb 6 20:20:45 2012
>> Next Message:  tying in wild vs captive with photos - crocdoc2, Mon Feb 6 20:57:05 2012
>> Next Message:  RE: here is where it belongs, hahahaha - FR, Tue Feb 7 07:49:49 2012

<< Previous Message:  RE: here is where it belongs, hahahaha - FR, Mon Feb 6 10:30:59 2012 image in post