return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
RodentPro.com - feeders for less!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
$50 banner pool - click here

tying in wild vs captive with photos

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Monitors ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: crocdoc2 at Mon Feb 6 20:57:05 2012  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by crocdoc2 ]  

As I said in another post, lace monitors nesting in termite mounds is a known thing in Australia. Although I have found many lace monitor nests, from very fresh to fairly old, I admit that I haven't yet been lucky enough to catch a female in the act of digging a nest and laying. It only happens for a few hours on one day of the year and the timing can vary by a few weeks, depending on the climate that season. I have photographed a heath monitor, Varanus rosenbergi, digging into a nest, though and others I know have managed to chance upon lace monitors nesting. Here's one set of photographs showing the behaviour:

Here's an interesting sequence that was published in a magazine, showing a lace monitor nesting in an arboreal mound. This is less well known than ground mound nesting. I have photographed holes in arboreal mounds in the past but rarely consider them as definitive proof of a lace monitor nest because 1. I can't get close enough to see the tell-tale scratches and 2. Kookaburras are also known to nest in these arboreal mounds, so a hole on the side of an arboreal mound at certain times of the year is more likely to be one of those.

A year ago a very good friend stumbled upon a female in the
process of digging into a termite mound. He didn't have a camera on him, so he contacted a mate of his that lived nearby, who was able to photograph the entire sequence. He and I had a good long chat about it and what blew me away when I looked at his photographs was how similar the behaviours were between the wild female and my captive. One of the interesting things I learned from this was just how much of a stupor the female goes into while laying. I was well aware of this behaviour with turtles and crocodilians and suspected it was the case with my female (she'd just barely react to me photographing her), but was never game enough to open the enclosure while she was nesting. After seeing Brad's photographs and talking to him, this past breeding season I had no qualms about opening the enclosure and getting right in there with my video camera. I'll put some videos on youtube later in the year, when I have more time. In the meantime, Brad's photographs of a wild lacie nesting in comparison to my captive female using her nest box.

Wild female

My captive (five different reproductive events - I've watched her nest many times and usually video tape it, but sometimes I photograph it)

Wild female leaving the nest, turning around and then going back in to pack them in

My captive, doing the same

Wild female packing the eggs in.

My captive, doing the same (four different reproductive events)

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: tying in wild vs captive with photos - Fabrizio13, Tue Feb 7 00:17:59 2012
>> Next Message:  RE: tying in wild vs captive with photos - MikesMonitors, Tue Feb 7 18:03:56 2012

<< Previous Message:  RE: here is where it belongs, hahahaha - crocdoc2, Mon Feb 6 19:38:56 2012