return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Polar Rodents - US based provider of frozen rats and mice.
$50 banner pool - click here

yes, no, maybe

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Monitors ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: crocdoc2 at Mon Feb 13 22:21:23 2012  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by crocdoc2 ]  

I didn't respond to the previous posts not because I agreed with you, but because I didn't think some of it was relevant and didn't want to go off on yet another tangent, given that you don't keep lace monitors and haven't seen them in the wild. You were guessing.

For example:

Gatorhunter"Regardless whether it is a termite mound, rotting log, or whatever that if a female finds the conditions with stable temps/humidty/ and proper medium that she will lay there."

The thing is, they don't lay in rotting logs or 'whatever' in the areas from which our lace monitors come because the eggs would not survive the winter if they did so. Those areas do not have stable temperature and humidity. Consequently, I disagree with you there. They clearly don't just 'happen upon' termite mounds while digging around looking for suitable temperature and humidity - the behaviour is widespread enough to suggest they seek the mounds out instinctively. They'd probably nest elsewhere if forced to by the absence of termite mounds, but the chances of the eggs surviving would be slim in most of their range.

Gatorhunter"In captivity we should be focusing more on the conditions then whether it is in a nest box, termite mound, dirt on the cage floor etc. Nest boxes have to be more accurate and whole cage offers more choices and you both would agree. "

Again, I don't agree. I think that a nest box plus whole cage substrate offers more choices than just substrate. That's been the point of this whole series of threads. There appears to be a link between lack of a nest box option and females dying of reproductive failure.

Interestingly, after the discussion about Hans-Georg Horn using nest boxes I went back and re-read his paper about the very first breeding of lace monitors outside of Australia. I have spoken to Hans-Georg about lace monitors and nest boxes before, particularly while standing in front of his lace monitor enclosures many years ago, a few years after I had started breeding them myself. However, I had forgotten the details of the paper. It turns out that Hans-Georg had provided the female with a large amount of substrate, but when he saw her constantly digging and not laying he put in a nest box, placed under a lamp for heat. She dug into it within three hours and started laying.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: yes, no, maybe-to answers - Gatorhunter, Tue Feb 14 12:20:36 2012

<< Previous Message:  lol! - Gatorhunter, Mon Feb 13 19:00:01 2012