return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
$50 banner pool - click here

RE: yes, no, maybe-to answers

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Monitors ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Gatorhunter at Tue Feb 14 12:20:36 2012  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Gatorhunter ]  

Actually Dave we do agree
Just playing devils advocate to coax the answers that were needed instead of back and forth. I'm more curious to get you and FR on to why instead of back and forth on whether they do since that is proven.
The fact that termite mounds maintain more stable temps for the year. 200 plus days just to get to the hatching point means the female needs a spot that will be good for the whole year (Agree?). That would be hard to do in any rotting tree or log unless it is in the tropics where the temps do not change drastically (Agree?) . Lace monitors are not the only ones know the take advantage of using termite mounds (proven).
Hence why I didn't focus on where but more on stability of temps and humidty that you aim for in your nest box which does not have termites. I for one cannot vouch/deny etc for anything that varius does in the wild or captivity other then what can be read.

I have tried nest boxes and have not had success with them. Do they work..yes (proven) should we offer more choices also..yes (proven). Why? Each monitor is an individual and have their own ideas on perfect (agree?)

Trying to switch the focus off of whether they use termite mounds (proven) to why would they want to. Temps, humidty and more stable year around.

Was I aiming to get onto a topic like you posted above.. YES!!!! WHY? I plan to reconstruct my croc cage soon and I was more curious on the humidty, temps, etc for better nesting options in captivity without moving in a bunch of termites in

P.S I plan to use both nest boxes and heated substrate with the same material and both will have heat pads and thermostats and I will aim for similar temps as yours.
Cheers
Good read above btw

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: yes, no, maybe-to answers - crocdoc2, Tue Feb 14 14:46:29 2012

<< Previous Message:  yes, no, maybe - crocdoc2, Mon Feb 13 22:21:23 2012