return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: African spurred tortoise in FL. advice?

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Tortoises ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: souri at Tue May 8 18:28:37 2012  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by souri ]  

Hi, I had 2 large female African Spurred Tortoises..until last week in Jupiter, Fl. I guess by now you have answered your tortoise questions? Mine were stolen, so yes, raccoons,dogs, cars, burrow cave-ins and especially people are dangerous to these shy animals. We learned quickly they like to burrow, deep and daily! They will burrow Under your house foundation or under the fence, so we had to dig out a burrow and staked pvc pipes 3' long along house underground and a wide radius, underground as in a "prison"..but made a connecting burrow to 2 Igloo dog houses which provided insulation and protection. The yard is large and wire fenced. Unfortunately they could be seem from the road at times. We have cameras, but the power was on and off. We also put a mesh gate above the connecting burrow and covered with tiles and sand with hopes to plant grass on top. I had planted natural grasses, lots of hibiscus trees and many soaking pond dishes for them. They make a huge mess sometimes with pee and poops so don't bring inside. They take some work and I liked to rub turtle cream on their shells and bought supplements and dry food soaked in water in addition to lots of veggies. Hope you enjoy them as I did!
I was searching the web if someone was trying to sell my girls locally. No luck.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  African spurred tortoise in FL. advice? - amuck10, Sun Feb 12 08:11:15 2012