return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Tinley Reflections: An open letter from Mom . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
$50 banner pool - click here

RE: Salvadorii nesting

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Monitors ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Gatorhunter at Sun Feb 12 10:44:54 2012  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Gatorhunter ]  

"I did indeed have discussions with Stan, but did not actually work with him.

A problem with whole cage nesting in large cages is indeed finding the eggs, if you do not see them nest.

I will say, after some experience, or in your case, hard lessons, you can fairly accurately perdict where they will put the eggs.

I used deep leaflitter, like with lacies, but I have had a friend also have nesting success with deep dirt, although his eggs did not hatch.

One thing I noticed with one of our females was, she would urinate on the nesting area. Which was not normal for her.

Also, I recomend building cages where ease of access is addressed. If you intent to breed larger varanids, make the cage so its easy to remove the substrate, well at least easier. hahahahahahaha. Good luck"-FR

I copy & pasted your other info to this topic as I plan to keep the topic here so it doesn't get mixed with your's and Dave's conversation. I repect both of you and the succes you both have had and personally have no business to be in the "Clash of the Titans" or so to speak.

1) Are you suggesting a good leaf litter blend with maybe a sandy base mixed in to be a good starting point?

2)My cage is 13x10x8 (currently LxWxH)- I use several sheds and change it up sometimes. I will soon move to Oklahoma again and will put together another outside add on there. Access is important and I build my enclosure to be maintaince friendly or sometimes runner friendly. There are days they just dont feel like being mucked with with means I need to be light footed lol.

3) Im well aware that we don't touch the height or depth that nature provides and that we are just enclosures in the ground. My questioning the natural nest sites is merely to guide me in the right direction of the most acceptable medium and conditions. I'm pondering whether I need to make an oversized elevated box like you see for the green trees monitors to aid as a viable option. After trying trash cans and all sorts of containers I think I would need a larger option.

4) Last year I had a prolaspe complication which I would assume is from her being a picky on nesting. I just want to make my options better for her and my other female (other female hasn't hit mature thickness and started cycling yet) to prevent egg binding. Not so much for breeding purposes yet. 90 days for ackie eggs is still kicking my but lol.

5) I realize all info is only guidelines since each monitor has its own individual preference. Just checking out other options because crocs are entirely different compared to my tristis and acanthuras.

6) More then one way to skin a cat or so they say

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Salvadorii nesting - Gatorhunter, Sun Feb 12 10:49:38 2012

<< Previous Message:  RE: Salvadorii nesting - FR, Sun Feb 12 09:29:05 2012