return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Polar Rodents - US based provider of frozen rats and mice.
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Moellendorffi

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Rat Snakes ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: ratsnakehaven at Mon Feb 20 09:54:11 2012  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by ratsnakehaven ]  

>>Here are a couple of Moellendorffi shots from yesterday. These guys grow fast compared to most other species of ratsnakes I've keep. They seem to grow at a pace more like the larger beauty snake (taeniura)subspecies.
>>I've noticed the color of their blotches from head to tail start turning to more of a chocolate color rather quickly. The orange or rust coloring in their tail gets more intense quickly also.
>>I'm glad to finally have my first pair of this species. If anyone out there in the US has any babies there not too attached to please shoot me a message.

>>-----
>>Randy Whittington

Hi, Randy. Long time no see.

I'm very happy to see you are working with moellendorffi now. Put me on your list for future babies. I've been thinking of getting back into this species for a long time. How long have you had the babies? I don't know anyone at this time that is still working with them, although there has been a few in the past. My problem has been adjusting to life and conditions in AZ, which are pretty good, except for the dry conditions most of the time. I do know quite a bit about moellendorffi, however, so shoot me an email now and then and we can discuss them and how yours are doing.

Moellendorff's ratsnakes are one of the coolest ratsnakes in the world. When I first got into them I also got some corn snakes to keep for comparison. Let me tell you that the similarities bt. these species are few, mostly in their fossorial nature and patterning. Moells can get large, but of the four I kept, only one got to six feet before I got away from the species. One reason I got away from them was because of their large size; but no other ratsnake can compare to their uniqueness. One reason I could get back into them is because they are actually very hardy when starting with healthy babies. They can handle our relatively cool winters quite well.

Are your babies eating well, or brumating?

Talk more later.... Terry

-----
Conserving reptiles by helping to protect habitat...
www.ratsnakehaven.com
www.scenicsantaritas.org

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Moellendorffi - RandyWhittington, Mon Feb 20 11:18:51 2012

<< Previous Message:  Moellendorffi - RandyWhittington, Thu Feb 16 15:19:39 2012 image in post