return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Can a virus save Frogs from fungal disease? . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
$50 banner pool - click here

RE: Wearing and eating monitor lizards

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Monitors ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: RobKnox at Mon Feb 27 17:56:51 2012  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by RobKnox ]  

I agree that this was a poorly asked question and as an academic myself I am surprised at how you worded it. That being said my guess is you were pushing more at "If the survival rate of captives is so low(for this discussion lets give it a theoretical 99% deathrate), how is that any better than exporting them for food and skins?"

Well as has been pointed out the bigger issue with the endangerment of these species is the destruction of their natural habitat. In a perfect world where their habitats were perfectly protected from further degradation and the damage that had been done was not irreparable yes a 99% death rate in the pet trade would roughly equate to the 100% death rate of foods and skin trade. However this is the real world and no matter how many lists we put these species on many of them will eventually become extinct and therefore that 1% matters and there is a difference, because that 1% can establish a captive population which is preferable on all counts to complete extinction.

Now does that mean its OK that the death rate is 99%? No. There should be changes to how these animals are exported and who they go to when they are. For the purpose of this discussion however, my opinions on policy are irrelevant.

Now if I am wrong about what you were getting at then I would go on to say I agree with a lot of what Frank and Mike said, you can do absolutely nothing about natives consuming these animals. It has been part of their culture for a long time and until the "modern" world kicked in and started doing its thing, these native populations were at a natural equilibrium with these animals evidenced by the fact they are not already extinct.

So my opinion is no the pet trade is not much better than the food and skin trade, but it is a little better. We should rather be focusing on how to improve the pet trade and lower that expected death rate, not try and abolish it altogether by claiming its no better than some other morally ambiguous trade.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  Great Post Rob N/P - WRC1228, Tue Feb 28 01:42:12 2012

<< Previous Message:  Wearing and eating monitor lizards - mampam, Sun Feb 26 09:19:00 2012