return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Healthy Herp
pool banner - $50 year

roly-poly's safe in a naturalistic tank?

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Garter & Ribbon Snakes ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: varanid at Mon Mar 19 00:17:26 2012  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by varanid ]  

I have a planted 40 gallon breeder for my female checkered garter snake. It's got a handful of bugs in there--roly-poly's being one, there's some worms that somehow evaded her too. I never really worried about them as they make good detritivores--but I saw something today that worried me.

I'm fairly sure she's gravid, but I'm still offering her small meals--f/t fuzzy and hopper mice (she's 3' or so,and probably pretty heavy right now). I put in 3 today, she ate one and left the other two. Tonight I went to remove the two she didn't take...and found the roly-poly's cleaning them out. One of them had all the flesh and skin removed from it's head, the other it looked like they'd gotten into the body cavity and where eating it fromt he inside out. I'd been under the impression that these guys ate mostly plant matter, but seeing this I'm worried that they might harm my gater snake? Any thoughts or ideas? I've had her in there for probably a year now and never had a problem but...
-----
We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion people if you had to be beautiful to get laid.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  A Cool Garter That I Found Today - tspuckler, Mon Apr 2 00:42:17 2012
<< Previous topic:  Overrun With Garters - keeper08, Mon Mar 12 23:01:48 2012