return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Layne Labs - Natural Diets for Pets & Wildlife
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Rhino basking spot

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cyclura & Ctenosaura ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: typherp at Sat Mar 24 16:15:26 2012  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by typherp ]  

Hey Jerry...thanks for the info...very helpful. I liked you book on iguana by the way. I would however like to give an another view point. As you have said the body temperature of rhinos will go as high as or even slightly higher than 115. i think the high basking spot is as important or more important than providing UVB. Frank used to tell me that he doesn't believe in UVB as long as you give them enough heat and to a point he is right as without the proper heat UVB will be useless. More than 20 years ago, I kept a large group of uromastyx in a large (12X10) open top enclosure with two 300 watt heat lamp 8 inches above cinder blocks as hot spot. The surface was so hot, i could barely keep my hand under it for more than 30 seconds, yet these uromastyx were basking for hours a day and thrived in this situation. As you know, proper UVB bulbs were not available back then and yet they did very well under this condition in Chicago. I would guess the hot spot would have been at least 200 and some times they were basking under it and looking straight at bulb without a blink....i was really in owe as how much heat they could take. Of cause key to this is the large pen with ample cool areas as well. These thermophilic lizards are accustomed to these high temperatures in their micro-habitats and they know when they had enough heat and choose to move away from them to a shady area....or they would not exist as a species. Having said all this, I understand that with hatch-lings we want to protect them from the extreme as much as possible...thus most of us raise them in smaller cages indoor. In this situation, i do not recommend that the hot spot should be at 130 to 150 as this would be difficult to provide given the small size of the cage. However, i always strive to give my lizards as close to what they get in nature (large space with close to their natural temperature and humidity) without the negatives such as predators, etc. and to me that is giving them both cool spot

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Rhino basking spot - typherp, Sat Mar 24 16:17:57 2012

<< Previous Message:  Rhino basking spot - jerry d. fife, Fri Mar 23 16:11:53 2012