return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
click here for Rodent Pro  
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
RodentPro.com - feeders for less!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Western Green Ratsnakes lock up

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Rat Snakes ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: tbrock at Sat Apr 28 17:48:48 2012  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by tbrock ]  

I used Hatch Rite for my last two clutches. I had several slightly deformed offspring - but I honestly don't think the medium was to blame (Hatch Rite has worked great for me with corns, dione, and beauty snakes. I think I am going to go back to incubating on fluorescent light diffuser over wet perlite, for this species...

My temps were also good - well within the parameters for this species and actually a bit on the low side. Something else went wrong - I have done lots of thinking, talking and research on this - and have come up with a few possibilities. Some are not related to incubation parameters and methods. A couple which are related to incubation methods are: I am thinking that air-flow / ventilation may be more important with this species eggs than many others. My last two clutches were incubated in very small tubs and inside a very small incubator. My healthiest clutch was incubated in a large tub (shoebox size) inside a larger tub which had excellent air-flow. The shoebox did not have air-holes, but was opened for several minutes every week, and the tub lid was only placed loosely on top of the tub.

Also, I wonder whether phsical disturbances to the eggs may have something to do with deformites or dead in egg. There was some online discussion a few years back about vibration from incubator fan motors causing distress to developing embryos.

On dead in egg offspring - according to some (Kohler) this is often due to the female having a deficiency in vitamins and / or minerals. The babies may have enough nutrients to develop to a certain point only and not have enough to finish developing or may develop fully and then not have the strength to break out of the egg...

I suggest reading any of Merker / Cranston's articles on the species - there is a new one in Herp Nation. also, I recently wrote one on my experiences with breeding intermedia (and problems I have had) for the SWCHR BULLETIN...
-----
-Toby Brock
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  RE: Western Green Ratsnakes lock up - Ryan_Sikola, Tue Apr 24 23:54:05 2012