return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Layne Labs - Natural Diets for Pets & Wildlife
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Need help with eggs please

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Indigo Forum ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: VICtort at Tue May 1 23:21:18 2012  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by VICtort ]  

Jason ,I agree with Doug and yourself, only 3 are likely fertile. If in doubt, set the egg(s) up in a separate container. I would use standard colubrid technique, although others such as SIMS etc. will also work. Tried and true is vermiculite, get the agricltural grade coarse type, avoid asbestos and fetilizer added types. You could use perlite, towels, paper towels,etc., but I think vermculite is better. Add water, roughly .o8 water to 1 vermiculite by weight. 1:1 worked fine for me, but some think that is too damp... Put in a plastic box with tight lid. Drill a few very small holes in lid. Add a couple inches of vermiculite, use plenty, and bury the eggs 1/2 way. Put pencil mark on top of egg and avoid rotating it after it starts incubating. Use temps around 75-76f. which is cooler than most reptile egg temps. You want a low and slow incubation...they will hatch robust and fat, with very little albumin left in the shell. I use incubators, but you can do fine with just an empty ice chest in a stable room temp environment if you don't have one...but avoid temp spikes, especially too warm, some of us think they correlate with spinal kinks etc. Try to avoid constantly adding water...most folks error on too wet side. But do add some if needed, OK to pick up the egg and inspect underside and make sure it is not collapsing. Some eggs will dent in, and quickly swell again if humidity is adequate. Dryer is often better...avoid mold etc. Realize eggs may pip but take a day or two to emerge, don't hurry them. Some eggs may hatch 2 or 3 days after the first...it is tortuous to watch, you will be anxious. Remember the drilled holes in lid? You can put tape over a few of them, and adjust the humidity. Avoid dripping "dynamic" water on the eggs. Humidity is good, but liquid water on the eggs is not. I open boxes to allow air exchange toward the latter weeks of incubation, they will be expelling liquid and gases...Good luck and let us know how it goes. PM me if needed. Vic

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Need help with eggs please - ArkansasJason, Wed May 2 01:30:33 2012
>> Next Message:  RE: Need help with eggs please - ArkansasJason, Wed May 2 01:33:42 2012

<< Previous Message:  Need help with eggs please - arkansasjason, Tue May 1 18:42:09 2012