return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Layne Labs - Natural Diets for Pets & Wildlife
pool banner - $50 year

RE: display cage questions.

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cage & Habitat Design ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: LarryS at Wed May 16 09:13:46 2012  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by LarryS ]  

Hi Quenton.

Sounds like a good plan. Looking forward to build pics!

There are some others here that are much better qualified to answer the wood sealing questions. I do remember some discussion of a coating made specifically for reptile enclosures, a search may bring it up.

I did use a two part epoxy on one enclosure with very good results.

The heat tape has been used widely in these applications with very good results. There are a couple of important safe gaurds to follow.
The manufacturer recommends a 1/8" air gap to prevent overheating.
I have never found a way to cover the electrical connections that satisfies me, but since it can be a potential shock hazard it is an important area to protect.
The wire will need a strain relief of some sort in case it gets pulled, something that many people overlook.

A fellow forum member here got me using the ceramic tile on the cage floor and it worked very well. I was using it in conjunction with RHP heat source, but should work well with floor or wall heat. It acts as a heat sink much like the earth. For my arborials the RHP alone worked fine. There are some using heat tape on the cage wall or ceiling making it essentially a RHP.The best advise I can give would be to size the heat source properly, as little as possible to get the job done. If there ever were a failure in the regulatory system and it delivers full power you do not want to overheat the animal.

The possibilities are endless really, many of the methods can work equally well in the end.

Best of luck!

Larry
-----
Larry Stroud - Fort Pierce, Florida

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: display cage questions. - quentonius, Wed May 16 14:02:10 2012

<< Previous Message:  RE: display cage questions. - quentonius, Wed May 16 00:14:05 2012