return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
click here for Rodent Pro  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Gecko . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - May 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - May 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Tucson Herpetological Society Meeting - May 27, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - June 01, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: ID Help Please -Pics & Location Included

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Snakes - What Kind? ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: DMong at Fri May 25 12:59:07 2012  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by DMong ]  

I'm not really disputing any of that because I don't personally know otherwise, but what about the Eastern Massasauga (Sistrurus catenatus catenatus), Northern Copperhead (Agkistrodon c. contortrix), and Timber Rattlesnake (Crotalus horridus)?. I have some range maps that put the Massasauga as far south right about up TO that area the poster designated. Also, I have a couple range maps that depicts the Northern Copperhead (Agkistrodon c. contortrix) as ranging right about UP TO that pin-pointed area the poster gave as well. I certainly do realize that most range maps are not absolute "hard boundaries", and ranges on the very outer fringes of maps that aren't a good bit more interior of their depicted ranges can often be somewhat questionable, and of course this depends on the accuracy of the individual map itself and the researched sources the map illustrator used. I am not from that area at all, so I am simply stating this from literature I have come across.

I do know a very dedicated and hardcore herpetologist in southern Illinois that I will run this by to get his opinion on it too. He does LOTS of hands-on field work and rersearch and is about as hardcore about accurate data and taxonomic identification as you could possibly get..LOL!

Anyway, I'm not personally disputing what you said, because I am only going by the maps I have here, and both the species I referred to come VERY, VERY close to meeting that area. Now as to if the specific habitat in that area the snake was found in can support either of the two snakes I mentioned, I couldn't say either way either.

I also have a range map or two that shows the Timber Rattlesnake ranging ridiculously close, if not right UP TO that exact area too.. With all three of these snakes seeming to range right slap up to this area, it would seem reasonable that possibly some of these snakes could in fact be found there, although they might not be nearly as abundant as they would closer to the centers of their respective ranges.

cheers, ~Doug
-----
"a snake in the grass is a GOOD thing"

serpentinespecialties.webs.com

"some are just born to troll and roll"

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: ID Help Please -Pics & Location Included - wolfpackh, Fri May 25 17:59:17 2012

<< Previous Message:  RE: ID Help Please -Pics & Location Included - wolfpackh, Fri May 25 09:57:26 2012