return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Healthy Herp
pool banner - $50 year

When Do I Go to the Vet?

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Corn Snakes ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: captainjack0000 at Thu Jun 14 09:38:46 2012  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by captainjack0000 ]  

I have a ghost corn snake that is about 40" long and 3yrs of age. He was a proven breeder and now he is just my house pet. His living conditions are very good for him while I am home.

However, for many reasons beyond my control, I was out of town for 2 weeks with only a couple of days back in the middle. The rest of the time the neighbor was checking on them and making sure they had water. I was back in the middle to handle feeding.

Upon returning from all of this I noticed the ghost was sneezing and not curled up in his hides. My thought is RI. He would do the log drape thing a little bit, and rub his nose on stuff. I have not seen any bubbles, open mouth breathing, or gummy mucus. He is also blue going into shed.

While gone I had the house temp set at 80F 24/7. That should have been just fine for the corn. Now that I am back home, I've bumped the temps in his cage. The first day he laid out and soaked up the heat. The sneezes seem less frequent, and he is actually hiding in his homes again. I see these as signs of improvement, and its only been 3 days.

Is there anything more I can do?
How long do I keep this up until I return to normal?
If it gets worse, when should I take him to a vet? Like how bad is vet bad?

If I can avoid going to the vet, great, but if I must then I will. The University of Florida has a top rated herp vet clinic that I can visit.

I'm sure my husbandry is fine when I'm home, but since the neighbor wouldn't scoop poop, the corn hung out in the cage with his feces for a while, and I'm suspecting that is where he got his RI.

Thanks a bunch for any advice!

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: When Do I Go to the Vet? - DMong, Thu Jun 14 11:02:37 2012
>> Next Message:  RE: When Do I Go to the Vet? - markg, Fri Jun 15 12:43:39 2012