return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Snake Advise

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Corn Snakes ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: a153fish at Mon Jul 9 20:53:49 2012  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by a153fish ]  

I have everything in tubs these days, and the last 10 gal tank with the wood top I gave away to someone at my job, and he gave it to someone else. Basically I used 1 x 2 wooden strips, and framed the rim of the tank with the wood, and glued it with silicone or liquid nails. The wood frame sits slightly higher than the lip of the tank. Then using the same 1 x 2 strips I make another frame that fits into the raised portion of the first frame. Only difference is I lay the strips flat so it's more like a picture frame. Then I adhere metal screen like the kind on windows and screen doors, sold at any home improvement store. I use a heavy duty stapler to attache the screen all around. This screened frame should fit snugly into the frame around the tank. You can add extra strips across the center of the removable one to give extra support. Then use some latches to secure the removable frame. The latches can even be a small piece of wood screwed into each end the non removable frame, that swivels over the top of the removable one, keeping it held down. The trick is to get the two frames flush so the latch swivels easily over the two. Print this out for your Dad, and I'm sure he can make it, or even improve on the idea. Good luck with your snake!
-----
Disclaimer: I do keep several snakes in pairs, and some in groups. However I realize that things can go wrong, and I have to keep a close eye on those groups, to be sure they are not being adversely affected by these living conditions. Also if one happens to eat it's cagemate, it is 100% my fault, and I know the risks in advance!

What's wrong with using CAUTION?!?!?!
King Snakes! Who can make a better mouse trap?
~ Jorge Sierra www.SierraSnakes.com

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  RE: Snake Advise - liladenae, Mon Jul 9 13:23:28 2012