return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
RodentPro.com - feeders for less!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: unanticipated benefit of the new laws

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Gray-banded Kingsnakes ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: chrish at Fri Jul 13 01:12:50 2012  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by chrish ]  

Here are some of the non benefits.....it is dangerous to walk a lot of the cuts
Second, you are nowhere near your vehicle, so it could be robbed or vandalized.
Third, if you are older like many of our clan, how difficult and safe is it for walking cuts?

These aren't "non-benefits" to the new law. These are complaints about a different legal issue...that roadhunting is illegal. Yes, I also wish road-hunting was legal, but I was just pointing out that wearing the safety vests has an unintended benefit.

And you are implying that these new laws are what lead herpers to walk cuts. We've been walking those cuts for decades prior to this new law.

As for your points,...it is dangerous but it is less dangerous if you have a vest on.
And driving 25mph down Juno or worse, 277, is pretty dangerous as well. I've had a lot more close calls with some yahoo nearly rear-ending me at 90mph while road hunting, or nearly getting hit while stopped to pick something off the road than I've ever had walking cuts.

For point two, I don't walk that far from my vehicle when I'm roadhunting. Do we know of anyone who has had this happen in all the decades people have walked cuts?

Being out on a quiet west Texas road late at night when you are tired, etc., is dangerous whether you are in your car or walking. And the age issue only changes your perception. When you are young you think your reflexes, strength or having a gun will protect you. As you get older you realize it probably wouldn't.

Really - a reflective vest? How safe do you feel now? And by the way....the cartels run drugs up and down the Juno Rd.

I do feel safer with the orange vest on since I have greater confidence a driver will see me. I have also noticed that drivers tend to slow down more when you are walking a cut with the vest on.

Yes, and you think being in a car makes that much difference to the drug runners?
-----
Chris Harrison
San Antonio, Texas

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  RE: unanticipated benefit of the new laws - morulus67, Wed Jul 11 11:49:24 2012