return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Layne Labs - Natural Diets for Pets & Wildlife
pool banner - $50 year

My 3 cents worth.

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Corn Snakes ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: HerpZillA at Sat Jul 14 15:31:58 2012  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by HerpZillA ]  

First listen to the others. Tim and the rest have a HUGE amount of experience.

Personally I have been fascinated since I was a kid and had a 5' water monitor that would not eat anything. Yet I had 12 other large monitors that well they ate like monitors. Toss in dealing with 100s of snakes and lizards over the years I have dealt with that do not feed. I am so interested in this that I bought some hognose that I figured I might have feeding issues. And I sure did and even lost a couple. But since I find this issue so captivating maybe I have noticed a few things I can add to the topic.

I have had more luck in small paper bags for baby corns. I think it’s due to the corners. In time the pinky FT will end up there and if you watch snakes in a container with corners once they get there they try to dig their nose in at times. And since the pinky can be right there I think there is some reason that gets them to eat.

This topic related to deli cups and is a difficult one since snakes do seem to react differently to different containers. I was never a fan of taller pint size deli cups for feeding. I liked the 1” tall ½ pints. If you watch the snake in the dark they spend a lot of time trying to climb the wall of the 1-pint deli. So I would always use the ½ pint delis. BUT I have noticed some baby snakes seem agitated not being able to raise their head higher in the ½ delis. Yes I have spent way way to many hours watching non-feeding baby snakes over the years. So generally I prefer the lower delis if you are using delis to feed.

As strange as it sounds, I also prefer the deli cup upside down. Especially in the taller cups. As the snake cannot climb the side and lean on it as easily and they spend far more time on the bottom roaming where the pinky is. And yes I have had just a couple snakes (back when I was helping at a pet shop) eat in a flipped deli and would not in a deli in the normal position. It’s so easy why not try it.
-----
Thanks for reading.
Tom

www.HerpZillA.com
HerpChat

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: My 3 cents worth. 2nd part - HerpZillA, Sat Jul 14 15:32:57 2012

<< Previous Message:  Feeding Help - LilaDenae, Thu Jul 12 14:23:41 2012