return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Tinley Reflections: An open letter from Mom . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Polar Rodents - US based provider of frozen rats and mice.
pool banner - $50 year

Easties

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Racers & Coachwhips ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: ALT at Fri Aug 3 11:17:37 2012  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by ALT ]  

I've been a slacker with regards to forum involvement for far too long. Time to share a few (crappy phone camera) pictures and update on my pair of FL Easties. They just turned 2 this summer, are pushing 5', and continue to be a lot of fun. I just started working them into outreach programs too, and they've exceeded my expectations with regards to temperament. Tame coachwhips as education animals...who would have thought? We didn't start out that way, of course. It's taken 2 years of working with them on their terms to get them to this point and we still have a ways to go.

They currently live together in a large "Reptarium" enclosure. These things are great because they allow for maximum ventilation and the added bonus of moving outside on nice days. I moved from aspen chips to paper as a substrate once they outgrew their baby tanks, and have the entire bottom of the cage piled with several layers of bark flats for them to cruise between.

Here's a rare shot of one taking down its dinner. Usually they grab and hide with it. This is an older photo, and they're both eating large adult mice now. It's so cool how they kill by thoracic compression using their mouth. They follow the mouse and plan their strike before executing, grabbing the mouse right behind the forelegs and hang on until the struggle stops. Sometimes the poor dinner gets bashed against the wall or floor a few times, but I've never seen them use a body coil to help subdue prey. They'll take live mice off tongs from me, but still give me the stink-eye if I try dangling a thawed mouse in front of them.

Lastly, here's me with one of my little buddies.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  Blue babies - a153fish, Sat Aug 18 20:02:30 2012
<< Previous topic:  Western Yellow Belly Racer - Nim, Sat Jun 30 18:54:55 2012