return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Layne Labs - Natural Diets for Pets & Wildlife
pool banner - $50 year

Stuck hemipene

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cyclura & Ctenosaura ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: madwhitehat at Tue Aug 7 13:35:02 2012  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by madwhitehat ]  

Well, Sunday we had a bit of a stressful situation with our 3 year old male Rhino (Sam). Let me give two quick bits of back-story.

- Sam HATES water. He is a big sweatheart/softy most of the time, but he turns into a paranoid demon when you try to get him to soak or you try to spray him down. The few times I have done it, he usually spends most of the time pooping repeatedly and trying to get out of the tub. I have given up even trying, and instead just mist him down and/or rub Shed Ease on him when he is shedding.

- When Sam comes down from his castle (a.k.a. cage) in the morning, he poops almost right away, then goes to lay under my window in the sun. Throughout the course of the day, he usually does another mini-poop. We have tile floors and newspapers, so it's super easy to take care of.

So, Sunday Sam did his usual thing. He came down, pooped, sunned himself, pooped a little bit more, roamed around a bit, etc. Well, my wife gets the idea that maybe we could get him to let us hose him down if we got him into our walk-in shower instead of trying to get him up into the tub. Sounds like a great idea. So since Sam likes her more than me, she talks nice to him and gets him to walk into the shower, and she sprays him down with warm water. Well....he hated it. It wasn't any better. He did what he always does. So, apparently since he had already pooped several times he didn't have anything left to expel. He must have strained the area, because after she got him out of the shower, one of his hemipenes was out and wouldn't go back in. When he got back up into his cage, he was sitting very uncomfortably. We tried applying a bit of sugar-water to the area and that didn't help. We applied some PreparationH and that didn't help either. Finally, I got a couple of Qtips, gobbed them with KY jelly, carefully lubbed up the entire cloacal region, then VERY slowly and carefully worked the hemipene back. Once it was back in and appeared to be STAYING back in, we left him alone to rest. We're at day 2 and everything seems to be ok. He was back to his old self yesterday, acting like nothing happened.

Anyway, we will NOT be trying any more bath/shower related things with him. We have a humidifier that he tolerates and he gives us no problems when we mist him down with warm water during sheds. That's just going to have to be good enough. LOL

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]