return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Healthy Herp
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Hibernation in KS, above ground, outside

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Box Turtles ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Chris_McMartin at Wed Oct 3 22:03:52 2012  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Chris_McMartin ]  

>>We had an incident that postponed basically all my thoughts on hibernation.

Sorry to hear that...are you sure it was a rat, and not a raccoon or skunk? I should mention--I keep my Waterland tub covered when outdoors--bought the "lid" (which amounts to little more than a ring around the edge) and affixed 1/2-inch hardware cloth to act more or less as a screen top.

we do have a basement but it never gets below the mid 60's.

Depending on the construction of your home, you might also have luck using your garage. Regardless of your past experience, I'd measure the temps in both your garage AND your basement...especially at the floor of your basement (where I presume the turtles would be). I have about a 5-degree difference currently between head-height (where my geckos currently live, up on shelves) and the floor. You might be able to get by with keeping the turtles in the garage until it gets REALLY cold outside, then moving them into the basement at that time.

Depending on the primary function of the basement, you might also look into closing the ducts (if present) to keep the temps down (not a good choice if you use the basement as a primary living space!). I keep the ducts closed to help ensure the 50s-range temps; I don't spend a WHOLE lot of time in the basement but in the winter I use a space heater for that area in which I do, and only when I need it.
-----
Chris McMartin
www.mcmartinville.com
I'm Not a Herpetologist, but I Play One on the Internet

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Hibernation in KS, above ground, outside - lizardsandspice, Fri Oct 5 17:03:22 2012

<< Previous Message:  RE: Hibernation in KS, above ground, outside - lizardsandspice, Mon Oct 1 15:41:18 2012