return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
RodentPro.com - feeders for less!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Layne Labs - Natural Diets for Pets & Wildlife
pool banner - $50 year

Reproductive strategies….

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Anacondas ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Kelly_Haller at Mon Sep 3 14:02:20 2012  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Kelly_Haller ]  

Danny,
That is about an average litter for a female of that size. Most neonate greens are born outside of the sack having broken free while still within the female. I believe this to be an inherent trait with all anaconda species so that if the young are dropped in water they are able to get to the surface more readily. That one could have easily been born dead, as this is seen occasionally. The largest litter I have produced was in the low 30’s but I don’t remember the exact number. I do remember that if you counted both neonates and infertile eggs, the count together was about 40, which is about the number of live young that you could potentially see from a 16 footer. With all of the births I have had here, the females always ate the infertile slugs. I believe that female greens ingest any slugs or dead neonates as a way to replenish energy reserves lost during the period of development of the young. Reproduction takes a heavy toll on the female and it would be a waste of valuable energy to not eat this material. This is especially true with green anacondas considering the environment in with these snakes live, as energy is at a premium in the Amazon and Orinoco river basins. Some female greens have even been known to kill and eat male greens after mating, but this has never been documented in captivity. Additionally, this probably only occurs when the females reserves are at an unusually low level and she needs to augment these reserves for the impending pregnancy. I believe this lack of occurrence in captivity is further evidence that it is an energy reserve issue. Female greens in captivity are typically well fed and the females realize there is a pretty consistent food source available, therefore they most likely do not have the inclination to feed on males even when they are available.

Kelly

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  Long time...need some help - Macroclemys, Fri Sep 21 18:42:38 2012
<< Previous topic:  Hybrid viability - Warren_Booth, Wed Jun 13 14:48:44 2012