return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Layne Labs - Natural Diets for Pets & Wildlife
pool banner - $50 year

RE: hatchling conspics

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Asian & European Ratsnakes ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: WALL2WALLREPTILE at Mon Jan 21 13:50:06 2013  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by WALL2WALLREPTILE ]  

Jeff,

Do you know the locality of the Aka Jimuguri that you have?
(Aka = Red....Jimuguri= Ground/Burrowing Snake)
This is the Japanese name for the snakes you own.

Those that originate from the north (Hokkaido) are smaller as adults and are often more difficult to get started on pink mice than are the larger Japanese Red Ratsnakes from the main island.
(However, the Hokkaido locale animals are much more attractive...often patternless. They look AWESOME!)

On Hokkaido, in the wild, their favorite prey item is a small vole or shrew-like mammal that the Japanese call "Sinks". I have seen these little rodents and the adults are usually smaller than your thumb. The nestling "Sinks" must be VERY SMALL.

A Japanese friend of mine (who consistently breeds this species) says that without access to "Sinks" you will have a very long process of assist feeding until they finally decide to feed voluntarily.

I would suggest offering nestling gerbils, or scenting the domestic pinky mice with White Footed Deer Mice...(Peromyscus species). You might also have luck with nestling African Soft Furred Rats. You should be able to find a ball python breeder who has them. The Europeans often call these African rodents "Many Nipple Mice" Although they do not occur in Japan, and are not related to either rats or mice...they are often the magic bullet when it comes to difficult feeders.

I hope this information will help you with your Euprepriophis conspicillata. These are rewarding captives, once you get them feeding and established. I hunt for this species every time my family and I visit Japan.
Please feel welcome to give me a call if you have any other questions. I would enjoy hearing from you.

Best wishes,
Harlin Wall - WALL TO WALL REPTILES!
970-255-9255

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  hatchling conspics - Jeff Hardwick, Fri Aug 31 11:38:37 2012