return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Healthy Herp
$50 banner pool - click here

RE: Yellow Monitor Care

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Monitors ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: crocdoc2 at Sat Sep 1 18:16:41 2012  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by crocdoc2 ]  

I agree with FR on this wholeheartedly. Over the years I've seen numerous keepers with little to no monitor experience attempt to start breeding programs with species that are uncommonly bred in captivity. While the intention is noble, the reality is that there's usually a reason those species aren't commonly bred and you're better off starting with a species that will encourage your efforts with positive results and then try your hand with something trickier. Most, if not all, of the people that start off with a trickier species get discouraged and drop monitors altogether.

I also agree that experience with other reptiles is often a hindrance when starting with monitors. When I ship off baby monitors to new owners I send them care information a few weeks prior and occasionally I receive an email response to the effect of "no thanks, I don't need it as I've kept x, y and z reptiles before". Those are the people I end up spending the most time on the telephone with later, explaining why their baby monitor isn't feeding yet.

This isn't a criticism - everyone has something to learn and it's just a matter of being open to it in order to move forward.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  Hatchling ackie vs month old ackie - Gatorhunter, Mon Sep 3 16:27:01 2012
<< Previous topic:  lighting for Argus? - antwon, Thu Aug 30 01:36:04 2012