return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
RodentPro.com - feeders for less!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Healthy Herp
$50 banner pool - click here

RE: Yellow Monitor Care

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Monitors ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: crocdoc2 at Fri Sep 7 22:01:13 2012  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by crocdoc2 ]  

"It seems that you both are focusing on the fact that I asked for information and breeding was an example of the information I was looking for. Overall I am simply searching for any information that will aid in caring for the monitors."

Keeping a pair as 'pets', whether they are bred or not, has been covered in posts by both FR and myself.

"If there is no other information out there on the requirements for yellow monitors other than what searches find then that is fine and I will contact the local zoo/safari park.

Having worked in the zoo industry for many years I can say that looking to a zoo/safari park for 'best practice' when it comes to monitor care (with some exceptions) is going to accelerate your abandonment of the hobby through disappointment.

One final bit of advice. Part of the reason your post has met with mainly discouraging remarks, aside from the species you've chosen to keep, is the nature of your inquiry. I'm a member of a number of forums, covering everything from video editing to monitor keeping. One thing I've rarely seen on a video editing forum is a post that starts with 'tell me how to edit video' and that never ends well. People who have clearly already done some research and then have specific questions get answered.

Search around a number of forums to gather some information and then word your question differently. For example: "I'm thinking of trying this setup, what are your comments?" will probably get a fair number of responses. "Tell me about the care of monitor species X" will not, for a couple of reasons: 1. The answer will require a huge amount of time from the person responding, for it will end up being a book length post if it's to cover the topic adequately and 2. Those people have probably already written book length posts on the topic elsewhere so the information is already out there. Most forums have a search function, so if you search for 'melinus' you'll probably find a fair bit.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  Hatchling ackie vs month old ackie - Gatorhunter, Mon Sep 3 16:27:01 2012
<< Previous topic:  lighting for Argus? - antwon, Thu Aug 30 01:36:04 2012