return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
$50 banner pool - click here

RE: Options, and more options..

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Monitors ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: FR at Tue Sep 11 10:22:35 2012  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by FR ]  

Hi Wayne,

I think your doing great, but if I was to help you, it would be to get you to think in a different way.

For instance, you give me stats(your cage and conditions) as if they mean something. And they actually do, but only a little bit.

Once some VARNAID group was publishing a paper on varanids and they wanted me to write an articule. They sent me a letter which outlined what I was suppose to write. It was a common scientific outline. You know, the approach(i forgot the actual term) of what I wanted to happen, the tools(materials) like cage stuff you just wrote, temps and all such. Then of course the results at the end. Which are suppose to match the first paragraph.

I wrote back and said, yet but thats not what I want to write about. Of course they said, but you have to write that stuff, its what is important. Of course, I disagreed.

I then wrote back. SIrs, no offense, but i can breed them in a box, in a trashcan, on top my head, on the roof, outdoors, indoors, both, In wooden cages, in fiberglass cages, in wire cages. With no UV, with UV. with photoperiod/without it, with lites on 24/7, etc etc etc etc. Those things are NOT important.

What is important is behavior. all those tools are only to support behavior. All manner of tools can and does support behavior.

The key to understand behavior a little better is, Behavior always changes, it changes and grows as the animals change and grow. The problems are NOT now, if you even have the most minimal of caging or the best. They are always tomorrow.

What that means is, the very best of all cages is, one with a huge door. So you can easily take everything out and put in new stuff, you know, to accomodate the changing behavior of growing progressing healthy monitors.

Wayne, I have hope for you, only because your driven to succeed. No offense, but a blind one handed monkey can raise up varanids. They are without question the easist to achieve RAPID growth.

THe problem is and always has been when they change gears(behavior) This is where SNAKE people fall flat on their faces. They are so use to, one setup and let it go. Monitors have resisted that over many decades. Monitors are behaviorally complicated, which means, one size does not fit all.

The Key to your success is not that cage, instead its how well you change and adapt. My warning is, such a strong belief in your cage, is harmful to your changing and adapting. Always think of your cage as temporary, as it may well REQUIRE changes and QUICKLY.

As mentioned, your doing great, but whats going on now is not the critical part. Whats coming is. Just don't be set in your ways. Congrats and have a great day.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  Options, and more options.. - dekaybrown, Tue Sep 11 00:31:07 2012