return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: What will I get?

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Sand Boas ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: chrish at Sun Oct 14 23:54:28 2012  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by chrish ]  

There have been a few genetic studies that have suggested that they are separate species.

Are these studies based on snakes (tissue) taken from the wild or from the captive population. If from captives, how many breeder animals came out of east Africa to found that captive population? I suspect there is lot of inbreeding in the captive population and it only represents the genes of a few individuals (at best).

Time and time again phylogenetic relationships based on morphology have been shown to be blatantly wrong.....and even more times when the genetic relationships have confirmed morphometric phylogenies. Of course, those studies don't get as much attention.

I believe strongly in the value of molecular genetics to give us more precision in phylogenetic analyses, but I am always curious about the sample size. In captive rufescens, that sample size may be as few as one or two animals and the captive gene pool has been contaminated with the genetic makeup of animals outside of the rufescens area.

Also, stripe is not a black back but a white back. So other species that have black back morphs are not really the same.

I wasn't referring to the striping. I was referring to the fact that several species of Erycines have populations that show varying amounts of melanism. I'm not saying it is correlated 100%, but I think the parallels are interesting and may speak to the development and inheritance of pattern and melanism in these snakes.

Aren't some rufescens dark-backed and light sided or have there even been enough wild animals looked at to know?
-----
Chris Harrison
San Antonio, Texas

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  RE: What will I get? - scaledverts, Tue Oct 9 21:12:28 2012