return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Tinley Reflections: An open letter from Mom . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Layne Labs - Natural Diets for Pets & Wildlife
$50 banner pool - click here

RE: Get rid of a monitor

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Monitors ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: FR at Thu Dec 20 15:19:37 2012  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by FR ]  

Let me see, monitors are not deadly to you, and most likely your cats(unless they are real young and dumb) Cobras are indeed one of the most lethal of snakes in the world, to humans.

Monitors, can consume snakes, including cobras.

If I had your problem, I would feed and watch and the monitor, so it will stay around. Hopefully it will keep the cobras away.

I do have many rattlesnakes on my property.

I think overall, I would leave the monitor be. As it will help keep a balance.

What most do not understand is, that cobra and monitor came from somewhere, they are not just magically under your house. So the problems the same whether that monitor or cobra is at your particular house or not. There are will be more monitors around you, and more cobras around you.

WHich means your cats and you are going to have to become adjusted to living with these reptiles, whether they are under your house or not. THe more you alter the balance, by moving or killing those animals, the more of a void is created and will be filled by more reptiles.

Now for the bad part, both monitors and cobras are rodent feeders and will keep that area limited with rodents. Of course they will not get rid of all rodents, as there are millions of them. Again, I would rather have reptiles around then rodents, rodents without question carry diseases that can be spread to humans.

SO there you go. Now for the cats, built them a safe place outdoors, like a big bird cage(wire enclosed area) that problem occurs here as we have lots of coyotes and they without question eat cats. So many folks here do built their cats outdoor runs. Best wishes.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Get rid of a monitor - DiD, Thu Dec 20 19:28:27 2012

<< Previous Message:  Get rid of a monitor - DiD, Thu Dec 20 10:15:28 2012