return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Polar Rodents - US based provider of frozen rats and mice.
pool banner - $50 year

Babies suddenly dying?!!

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Bearded Dragons ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: PhilDRezin at Mon Mar 11 10:09:38 2013  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by PhilDRezin ]  

Hello, I haven't breed bearded dragons in nearly 5 years and just hatched my first clutch since restarting my breeding, on Jan 21. My dragons are caliente reds and one is hypo (they are screamers!). My problem is that some of the young were deformed (small eye, cleft lip), and those died relatively quickly (2-3 weeks). The rest were in great shape and all doing well until 2-3 days ago, when two of my healthiest and largest babies went from about 100% healthy and happy to dead in 24-36 hours. The decline is remarkable and something i haven't seen before. They are kept under solarglo lighting, with a basking spot above 120 and a cool area near 80. They are misted daily(normally twice) and given a bath about every other day, and are fed crickets and inhouse bred mealworms (both gutloaded with repashy superfood). They were growing about a half inch per week and really doing absolutely great! WHATS GOING ON?! The decline is as follows: 1. absolutely healthy, eating any and everything 3-4 times a day 2. lethargic (dont think much about it as they can be seen to be in shed 3. sunken eyes, obviously dehydrated, totally lethargic (they drink readily though!) 4. dead under paper towels! All in about 30 hours. Some things to consider while diagnosing: House bugs frequent my basement, and were one of the culprits i was blaming, but my last death was a holdback who i kept in a screened in cage. Paper towels are the bedding of choice and changed every other day so i dont think impaction is much of a risk although i have seen one or two taking a bite out of it. One of the three that suddenly died threw up in the water dish during his last bath, literally "shook" his head back and forth until a white gooey substance came out of his mouth. When they are in decline they sometimes sit with their mouth open, this is how i know to start worrying. I'm not sure what the deal is! Inbreeding depression? Elderbugs are poisonous, and maybe one got through the screening? Literally I've never had a healthier dragon go from 100% healthy to dead in 24 hours! Someone help!

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Babies suddenly dying?!! - PhilDRezin, Mon Mar 11 23:23:42 2013