return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Tinley Reflections: An open letter from Mom . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

Knee deep in breeding Atratus

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Garter & Ribbon Snakes ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Zach_MexMilk at Sun Mar 31 17:17:29 2013  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Zach_MexMilk ]  

Had a very productive morning today out in San Mateo County. Had to attend a work party at 1 PM, so was only able to be out in the field for a few hours. Luckily for me, I narrowed down my targets and spots and was able to find quite a few snakes.

However, to begin, yesterday evening, after work, I biked over to my local SF Alligator Lizard spot in hopes of getting my first City 'gator for the year. Got lucky at around 5:00PM when I heard some rustling in the coyote brush:

San Francisco Alligator Lizard (Elgaria coerulea coerulea)- San Francisco, CA

Now, for today.

My regular herping buddy and I hit a nice rock field East of Highway 280 in hopes of our first Kingsnake of the year. Although no Lamps were found, we managed a few cool snakes-

Pacific Gophersnake (Pituophis catenifer catenifer), San Mateo County, CA- 2 were found

Sharp-tailed Snake (Contia tenius)- San Mateo County, CA

Moving along to a new spot that I have never been to before (big "thank you" to Luke Talltree for guidance)-

Along a trail, there was a broken down structure (maybe an old housing area for cattle?). Was able to find one piece of tin that was flippable.

First Crotes of the year!

Northern Pacific Rattlesnake (Crotalus oreganus oreganus), San Mateo County, CA

At the end of the trail was out destination- a pond! I love ponds.

First herp found was a rather drab CA Red-legged Frog (Rana draytonii), San Mateo County, CA:

Scanning the edge of the water, a bright flash of orange caught my eye.

"Flame-phase" Coast Gartersnake (Thamnophis elegans terrestris), San Mateo County, CA

Posed

Now for the highlight of today.

My favorite local Thamnophis species is T.atratus atratus, the Santa Cruz Gartersnake. Something about them makes them strikes me as very attractive and alluring, even more so than an SFGS.

I guess I came to the right spot today. The place was CRAWLING with huge SC Garters garthering in huge numbers amongst the reeds and chaparral. I believe that these snakes were breeding? Countless snakes ignored our presence and beelined it directly to the reeds where they chased around others. I can not describe the sight!

Some were even crossing directly in front of our feet, so I was able to secure one (quickly) for some quick pics.

What a great day! Just seeing the sheer amounts of garters in one area was a thrill. Top 10 favorite herping moments for sure!

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Knee deep in breeding Atratus - shadowguy, Tue Apr 2 16:21:27 2013