return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Reintroduced Siamese Crocodile exhibits first time nesting . . . . . . . . . .  Can a virus save Frogs from fungal disease? . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
$50 banner pool - click here

RE: So which species needs to be conserved?

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Monitors ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: FR at Sun Jun 9 10:53:33 2013  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by FR ]  

Hi Izi, I think your missing the point. And most people do miss the point. Very very few people actually breed monitors, and by breeding monitors, I mean the ability to take them generations. The reality is, most cannot successful produce any babies.

So when you say conservation, and your description below, it means the ability to maintain them for long periods of time, generations.

The problem is not knowledge, as the picture I posted of the three medium sized to large species. A Sand monitor, a White throat, and a lace monitor, all hatched in the same egg box at the same time. hahahahahha that's the neat part. All three were offspring of parents, I hatched and I hatched their parents too.

What I am getting at is, the knowledge to conserve these animals is there. Its just not done.

The reason is simple. ITs work and takes space. If you think about it, your own idea of a 12 foot cage. Say that works for a pair. The problem is, a pair is not a program. ITs a pair. You need large groups and many many cages to be meaningful.

As a zoo builder, I would hear them say this and that about conservation and endangered species. Then I would say, if you want me to believe in your conservation, then come back to me when the AZA devotes an entire zoo to an endangered species. They don't and won't do that. The reason is simple, zoos are for entertainment. I know, I helped design them and built them.

Lets see, the base design is people flow. which is how do you get people moving to retail centers. Hit them as the enter the zoo, then move them from exhibit to retail centers, then again as they leave. Zoos want people in the zoo, then out as quickly as possible. No bottlenecks etc. But I rant. And I can rant a whole lot more. continued

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  So Izi - FR, Wed Jun 19 14:19:38 2013
<< Previous topic:  your breeder feed setup for big Varanus - Izi, Tue Jun 4 21:07:39 2013