return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: egg bound female

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Milk Snake Forum ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: craighoitink1 at Sun Jun 23 10:44:00 2013  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by craighoitink1 ]  

Mike,
This is what my Snow Hondo did that last year. She dropped 2 slugs about 8 days after her shed and then approximately 20 days(after shed) dropped 4 good eggs(in her hide box-not egg box) that hatched and turned out fine. I kept feeding her small day old rat pinky's the whole time(about one every 2 or 3 days-basically just a little snack for a 4' snake). That turned out great. I've also palpated eggs out. Sometimes that works and sometimes the snake dies(I'm about 50%-Half die). There are many ways to do that which I won't go into but I'm sure someone will provide different techniques if you want to go in that direction. I also have talked with a bunch on well know Breeders/Dealers that have been working with reptiles for 40 plus years and they just leave the animals alone and a good % of the time they end up passing the eggs. I do that now. I had a Ghost het amel last year appear to be gravid then nothing. I thought she must have absorbed the eggs or something?? Well this year when she was gravid before the egg laying shed she dropped this weird looking shriveled up egg or something?? I should have taken a picture of it. Then after the shed about 10 days later she dropped 4 good eggs. Most of my Hondurans drop eggs around 10-12 days after shed but I have one that consistently drops on the 20 day which I believe is kind of late. So again I just leave them alone at this point it seems to work out better for me and the snake. She may still lay some good eggs(keep an egg box in with her). I'm sure there are others that will disagree and maybe they are right but for me I end up killing the snake a lot of time and this way recently has worked out.
Good luck and I hope the snake turns out okay.

Craig

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: egg bound female Cont.. - craighoitink1, Sun Jun 23 10:47:40 2013
>> Next Message:  RE: egg bound female - RG, Mon Jun 24 08:58:32 2013

<< Previous Message:  egg bound female - mikefedzen, Sun Jun 23 00:03:41 2013