return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

Herping the Big Sky - With Milk!

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Milk Snake Forum ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: SunHerp at Tue Jul 30 16:40:30 2013  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by SunHerp ]  

Presented here is a new posting format debuted on another forum. Cole and Dell will be making this post together, with Dell posting in black and Cole posting in blue. This post will detail a spring adventure in the field by Cole, Dell, our new buddy Trey, and Dell’s daughter Emma. Our goal with this posting scheme is to keep down the redundancy. Hopefully everyone enjoys! Credit should go to Crazins (aka Marisa Ishimatsu) for coming up with the multiple speakers in one post. Brilliant!

I'll jump back in here with a few habitat shots to provide a sense of place. Things are starting to green up around here, following an unbelievably dry winter and spring.

Here's Dell and Trey doing what we do. Those are the highest mountains in the state of Montana in the background.

We had a very busy day of hunting, and the time flew by as a result. Here's what we found. The day was warm, but not hot. It was also partly overcast. I think we were all surprised at the number of Coluber, Pituophis, and Crotalus seen "out on the crawl" that day.

First snake of the day was a Yellow bellied racer, Coluber constrictor. I failed to photograph even one of the over a dozen we found, but this from a few years ago will have to do.

We found a number of C. viridis out basking on this beautiful day.

I obviously ended up with quite a few "similar" shots, so I'll attempt to keep repeats to a minimum

Here's one of the multiple viridis seen that day in situ, as spotted by "Eagle Eye" Trey.
Find the snake!

There it is!

And a little closer.

Indeed we were having great weather, which made for some great herping.

Beartooth Mountains from the hillsides we were hunting in.

Aaaah, the Beartooths...

With the warmth and recent moisture, many of the plants were coming into bloom. I'm a bit of a xerophyte/succulent aficionado in addition to being a herper, so I was thrilled to see Escobaria missouriensis in bloom with smokin' peach/orange flowers.

The weather was so nice and the rocks had just the right amount of moisture for a number of Salamanders to be up and soaking up radiant heat.
Tiger Salamander, Ambystoma mavortium melanostictum.

I snapped a few photos of this darker critter, too

This mavortium was particularly bright looking.

Agreed. It was a nice contrast to the drab bugger above

We found over 10 Bull snakes, which I never get tired of.
Bull snake, Pituophis catenifer

I took the time to photograph a number of them. Our Bull Snakes tend to be high-contrast, with lots of rusty-tinted blotches.

Here's a different animal, as flipped

Dell's daughter is a trooper. She can put up with conditions in the field that most grown-ass men would shun. Here she is with one of the day's Pituophis.

For Cole and I it's Milk snakes that motivate us, and lucky for us he flipped this bright animal.
Milk snake, Lampropeltis triangulum multistrata.

Of course, I photographed the milk, too... for a few minutes, anyway. My camera battery died shortly thereafter. Here are the results.

A little different shot.

Trey wanted to see a Horned Lizard, and we went to work in a little different spot to try and find these fat little gargoyles. We quickly found a neonate from last year.
Greater Short-horned lizard, Phrynosoma hernandesi.

Then another.

And a couple of adults.

We always enjoy these spiky little guys.

I'll round this out with a few more habitat shots, for those who care.

-Cole
-Dell

-----

-Cole

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Herping the Big Sky - With Milk! - coolhl7, Tue Jul 30 18:36:59 2013
>> Next Message:  RE: Herping the Big Sky - With Milk! - Denbar, Tue Jul 30 18:38:57 2013
>> Next Message:  RE: Herping the Big Sky - With Milk! - John Q, Wed Jul 31 10:16:12 2013
>> Next Message:  RE: Herping the Big Sky - With Milk! - Dniles, Wed Jul 31 16:50:33 2013
>> Next Message:  RE: Herping the Big Sky - With Milk! - John Fraser, Wed Jul 31 18:47:08 2013