return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Healthy Herp
pool banner - $50 year

RE: JohnQ... Part 3

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Hognose Snakes ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Gregg_M_Madden at Mon Aug 26 07:35:58 2013  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Gregg_M_Madden ]  

I believe what you are saying but I also believe it's their conditioning. The box opens and here comes the food. Let them settle down, pick them up, and they are usually quite calm. If they pick up the scent of food, the slightest scent, they may bite. I believe they are in feed mode as soon as you open their box. Those types of bites are quite different from defensive bites, the quick strike and bite. Defensive strikes would not involve latching on, working the jaws, and trying to swallow a finger.
It's obviously possible to get bit by a hognose but those bites are more related to feeding than to defending themselves.

I need no lesson in handling hogs. Some do have a strong feed response as you state. However, I am not talking about feed response bites. I am talking about clear defensive bites where threat displays have been put on right before. With that being said, a bite is a bite no matter what the trigger is.

Defensive bites can and do involve latching on. Usually the first reaction we as humans have is to grab the snake when it bites down or we are holding it at the time of the bite. If we have a grip around the snake during a defensive bite, it will not let go. More times than not, if you put the snake down on a flat surface and let go of it, the snake will let go of you right away. Bite and latch on is indeed part of their defensive behavior depending on the situation.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: JohnQ... Part - Gregg_M_Madden, Mon Aug 26 08:07:34 2013

<< Previous Message:  RE: JohnQ... Part 2 - Gregg_M_Madden, Mon Aug 26 07:23:13 2013