return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Florida Pines

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Pine/Bull/Gopher Snakes ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: jodscovry at Thu Sep 5 14:36:30 2013  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by jodscovry ]  

Funny you should ask, I've spent half my life in the woods here in Sarasota as a class III Collector, I just typed up a four page letter to Kevin Enge, the lead Biologist working with the FWC on the very subject. The FWC and a group of 5 Biologists just increased the status to a Threatened Species, which I'm OK with. The reason I wrote the guy is because while the FPSN populations will likely increase north of, say Tampa Bay, the populations south of that "current southernmost pocket gopher extent" are fractured into single-gender-heavy groups and those groups are separated by layers of roads and sometimes even counties and surrounded by hungry hog populations which I feel will never subside. The only chance we have here in south Fla of encountering the FPSN in our Parks again is if a breeding program is initiated, and soon. The genetic makeup of the southernmost FPSN is the most "heat tolerant" gene should be the one chosen/harvested for the breeding program, then the FWC should change the law to ALLOW LOCAL Breeders to breed local snakes (Indigos and Pines) for release into all the newly restored Parks, the law already states "no sale, trade or transport over state lines" that doesn't have to change. Believe it or not they factor in the off base idea that the FPSN is over collected, even though request like yours pop up here weekly from folks looking for a person that owns a pair. The part they don't seem to get is that people that breed the FPSN are passionate and would be happy to participate in replenishing the wild populations, even at they're own cost just to be part of it. I think that THEY think snake lovers are all druggies or just scumbags. The existing laws are only protecting them out of existence, at least here in south Fla. Find the link I posted a month ago here on this Forum and give it a read, tell me what you all think, ...All I got from it is, and they admit this in the "Species Review" that they know very little about the species and think restricting us from breeding it is somehow going to help the species?. Even worse is, the only law that IS effectivly enforced is the law that prohibits locals from breeding the Threatened species, all the while they're still evaporating like bubbles in a bathtub, all other laws that are supposed to protect them have 0 effect, like from road mortalities and new urban developments, or ranch worker killings, or NON NATIVE Hog encounters... I could go on for hours...

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  Species review report from FWC - jodscovry, Thu Sep 5 15:01:22 2013

<< Previous Message:  Florida Pines - OrangeHeterodon, Thu Sep 5 10:53:18 2013