return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Layne Labs - Natural Diets for Pets & Wildlife
pool banner - $50 year

RE: TriColored Hognose

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Hognose Snakes ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: AlexNevgloski at Sat Oct 19 19:02:47 2013  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by AlexNevgloski ]  

There are a couple people working with them (they are on Facebook), and I have an adult pair of Lystrophis pulcher that should breed next year. They both started out as tricolors, but the male has lost his red (he's now black with white bands) and the female has lost her white (she's now black with red bands).

My experiences have been good so far, as my pair has very good feed responses (both eat fuzzies/hoppers). They stay buried 90% of the time, and both use their moist hide regularly (just a plastic tub with moist sphagnum moss). I have mine set up in a rack and they appear to be thriving.

From numerous conversations with people who have owned them they reportedly don't like to be too hot, and their eggs require cooler incubation temperatures than most colubrids. Mine have a hot spot of 90 degrees, and the cool end is around 75 degrees. They have large tubs which provide plenty of options for thermoregulation. The female tends to stay towards the warm end while the male seems to prefer the cooler end.

I really like these critters, and look forward to the challenge of breeding, eggs and babies.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  PIC, Please - reako45, Mon Oct 21 03:35:21 2013

<< Previous Message:  TriColored Hognose - MattyM, Thu Oct 17 13:31:50 2013