return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Brumation Techniques

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Hognose Snakes ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: FR at Mon Nov 25 09:51:42 2013  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by FR ]  

Try different conditions, usually when something does not do X in captivity, its because they do not recognize something, the way you the keeper does.

If the soil in your cage is not suitable, they simply will not use it. It could be too dry, too wet, too dirty, stagnant, etc.

Reptiles in nature, know what works and what does not, They do not attempt to dig in what is not suitable, they do dig in what is suitable, etc. All species I have worked with have a preference to what soil types, what rock types(feel) what wood types, that they seek. There is no question that they seek what is "comfortable" to them. As in, feels right.

Just for fun, how about looking up hognose in any field guide and reading about its habitat and preferred soil type. Most field guides do include that information. And yes, as mentioned, there are always exceptions to a degree. Species adaptions are a product of the whole, not every little peripheral habitat.

It would be great if you could include pics of your hogs and their soil types, both in captivity and in the field. Particularly in the field. Heck, one my brother in law, and I observed a Banded rock rattlesnake, at the very top of an oak tree. He said, FR, do snakes climb, I said yes, but its not normal around here, why? he said, because I think I see a snake in the top of that tree, across the canyon. I looked and said where, he pointed, then I saw the dang snake, it fell out of the top of that dang tree. We ran over and sure enough, an adult male rock rattlesnake. Cheers

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Brumation Techniques - OrangeHeterodon, Tue Nov 26 06:56:52 2013

<< Previous Message:  RE: Brumation Techniques - OrangeHeterodon, Mon Nov 25 08:01:30 2013