return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Brumation Techniques

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Hognose Snakes ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: FR at Tue Nov 26 12:30:09 2013  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by FR ]  

Hi again, I mentioned field guides, So you would tell me here, what they said. And please, we will get the some fun stuff, in due time. But we have to break down the things that are misleading.

I mentioned ethology, in ethology, they do not consider any animal static. Its always changing. In one talk I went to, an ethologist explained he was a rarity, in that most ethologist work with OTHER types of animals and not reptiles(varanids). He explained how behavior is always ahead of adaption. Even if to a small degree, but sometimes to a huge degree. The world is in a constant state of change, its always evolving. And so are the animals. So to exist, the animals must test and stay ahead of adaption, or one change would wipe them out.

In our case, hognose of all types were and are based(adapted to) soft soils, as in pine woods etc in the east. While they are common and dominate in their preferred habitat, they are surely not 100% restricted to that. Which may indeed be the case of what your trying to explain. As I mentioned, we have both soft soiled hog populations and hard soiled populations here. In our case, in soft soiled areas hognose are a dominating snake species. In the hard soiled, they are not. But they are there.

Another example, sidewinders occur and are adapted to sandy deserts, sand dunes etc and have many physical adaptions for living there. I live right next to a national park that mountains, canyons. Away from the park there are low silty areas that sidewinders are common in. Yet, right by me, there is a population of sidewinders that lives up in the rocky hillsides. No sand, no soft anything. Harsh rocky hills etc. But they are there.

So when we are talking about an animal, where would you assign that animal, to the majority of this habitat and range, or to small exceptions? I will reply to your captive tests when I get back. Thanks and have a great day.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Brumation Techniques - OrangeHeterodon, Wed Nov 27 10:30:39 2013

<< Previous Message:  RE: Brumation Techniques - OrangeHeterodon, Tue Nov 26 06:56:52 2013