return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
click here for Rodent Pro  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Polar Rodents - US based provider of frozen rats and mice.
pool banner - $50 year

RE: pt 4 tests you can do that are fun

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Hognose Snakes ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: OrangeHeterodon at Thu Dec 12 11:14:12 2013  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by OrangeHeterodon ]  

Yeah I am agreeing with you haha. I think there is a communication error so I will focus just on one point instead of two - My western hognose in regards to hunting toads.

I am sure that the toads will burrow and he will after them once I add toads into his cage now that I have him on a soil type that will hold the shape of the burrow. Previously, until this past Friday, I have been using aspen bark for four years. The toads would attempt to burrow, but they could not because the aspen I was using wouldn't hold the shape of their burrow. As a result, they would make a depression in the ground instead of a burrow and "appear" to be sitting there.

About a year ago I tried breeding toads to raise tadpoles so that I didn't have to catch wild ones. The idea didn't work because I didn't have the available time, so I just resorted to raising collected tadpoles. During this time I noticed the burrowing habits of Southern Toads and the manner in which the developed burrows. When I looked at this method for digging burrows in a more toad-suited substrate, the method for digging was the same in aspen as it was damp eco-earth mixes with sand from outside.

Basically my thing with my western attacking toads on the surface is because the toads did not have a substrate that they could properly burrow in. As a result, the toads couldn't burrow. As a result, my western would eat them on the surface. Now that I have a substrate better suited to generalized burrowing be it snake, mouse, or toad, I am 99.99% positive that the snake will seek out toads that are burrowed into the ground as you have been saying. The new field collected sand that I am using now should allow the toads to burrow and the snakes to follow.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  RE: pt 4 tests you can do that are fun - FR, Thu Dec 12 10:21:15 2013