return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
click here for Rodent Pro  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Layne Labs - Natural Diets for Pets & Wildlife
pool banner - $50 year

RE: New to Pituophis

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Pine/Bull/Gopher Snakes ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Poomwah at Sun Jan 12 02:59:05 2014  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Poomwah ]  

Pits are great snakes for the right person. I love them, I don't currently have any, but I have had bulls in the past, and we will have a baby northern pine wednesday and another bull pretty soon.
Pits have attitude, there's no denying it. They like to puff up and hiss. Some of them love to bluff you and strike at you without biting. A few will actually bite. I've handled a few that were very cage aggressive but were fine once they were out of the enclosure. But cage aggression is something you can have with other snakes too.
Pits get large and heavy (for a colubrid) and they grow fast. They are extremely strong for their size, a trait you can say for most snakes, but with bull snakes its crazy how strong they can be.
They are eating machines. Their appetites are ravenous. Some will go off feed for a few months in the fall, some won't. Keep in mind that since they are bigger than most colubrids and since they eat so much, that they CAN be messy and will need a lot of clean up.
I can't say much specifically about gophers, sorry about that. Only can share what I've experienced with bulls.
I have recently been told by a few breeders as well as pit owners that bulls generally get heavier and thicker bodied than pines, but pines generally get longer than bulls. I didn't ask about gophers because I wasn't looking for one.
I think its safe to say if you wind up liking pits that you will LOVE them.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  New to Pituophis - colubrids91, Sat Jan 11 16:06:14 2014