return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Layne Labs - Natural Diets for Pets & Wildlife
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Using Bait Fish as Food

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Hognose Snakes ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: FR at Tue Jan 21 10:55:17 2014  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by FR ]  

THeres something the matter with us as people, which is what gets in the way. posts and replys are related to in odd ways. I have mentioned many times, many folks use the A or Z method.

In this case, Gregg and I, are mentioning, with A level of husbandry, picky feeders is greatly reduced. Which is true. But that does not mean Gregg or I would watch a hog or any other reptile waste away, because we refuse to do something we do not normally need to do. If I was forced to, I would scent with anything that works. Starting with what is most available to me.

Again, I am sure Gregg would do whatever is needed. That said, people having problems, should entertain the idea, or goal, that scenting is not needed if you support the snake. This should be the first step in improving your husbandry.

Fear based husbandry is something that I question. If I had to keep reptiles in the fear that they will get sick or fail for any tiny reason, I would not keep them. In nature, they consume parasites with EVERY meal, they occur in oil fields, commonly, they were one of the types of animals that did not die off in radiation tests in Nev. They occur and have evolved to the nastiest of deserts. As long as there is some manner of heat, They will colonize it.
The key to learning husbandry is simple, one decision needs to be made, and that is, is the animal in question, sick(pathogens) or healthy. If its healthy, then there is no need to treat it like a sick animal. Healthy reptiles are nearly impossible to kill. Which is a good thing, that makes testing easy. You don't measure success by life or death. You measure it by progress.
end part 1

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  shedding during brumation - bulldogger75, Sat Jan 18 21:55:33 2014
<< Previous topic:  Breeding info? - mingdurga, Wed Jan 8 10:54:22 2014