return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: shedding during brumation

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Hognose Snakes ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: wohlerswi at Sun Jan 19 12:14:00 2014  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by wohlerswi ]  

Gregg is correct. In all my years breeding I have also never had an animal start a shed cycle in brumation. It costs valuable calories they just cannot spend. On the other hand. I have had snakes start to go into shed cycle, and before they actually shed I still brumate them. They will slough their skin still but it can be extremely difficult for them even with a moist hide. Their metabolisms are so slow that they dont really have the strength to slough the skin. In this case I always watch the particular animal that was shedding prior to brumation, and when it is time manually shed the skin. It can also be difficult for the skin to shed because of the lack of humidity in brumation. Usually when I put one into hibernation that was already going through a shed cycle, it can take up to a month to a month and a half for the cycle to be at the point where you can manually shed them (again because their metabolisms are so low, everything takes longer). Do you have some you think are shedding, or were you just asking as a general heads up in case you have it happen?
Will

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  A couple of cool hogs. - Gregg_M_Madden, Sun Jan 19 16:12:46 2014
<< Previous topic:  Using Bait Fish as Food - Austin12, Sat Jan 18 19:48:05 2014