return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Layne Labs - Natural Diets for Pets & Wildlife
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Yeah, try leaving her alone.

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Hognose Snakes ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: OrangeHeterodon at Wed Feb 19 08:56:52 2014  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by OrangeHeterodon ]  

With what FR said about them liking to feel secure, even with some of the small basic hides I have seen these still not being enough.

Something I have found better to producing a secure and snug hide is home-made hides using wood or rocks that are structurally secure that allow snakes to really get down into a snug spot. With some I will add some plant cover over a few spots to make the entrances to the self-made hides less visible so that the snake does not still feel exposed.

Sometimes it takes a bit of trying to get home-made hides designed "right" based on keeper tastes and simply durability, but they can be better than store-purchased hides if you put some thought into how to make it and where/how to position it.

I have seen a few easy ones to make. There is another post a few posts down where FR posted a pic of his son's hognose hide, and then another one I have seen is a board with a wooden block about the width of a 50 cent coin to prop it up with some plastic decor plants draped over the openings.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Yeah, try leaving her alone. - FR, Wed Feb 19 11:12:45 2014
>> Next Message:  RE: Yeah, try leaving her alone. - ericarditti, Thu Feb 20 21:11:37 2014

<< Previous Message:  RE: Yeah, try leaving her alone. - ericarditti, Tue Feb 18 17:25:33 2014