return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Tinley Reflections: An open letter from Mom . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: 4 days out of brumation and I have eggs!

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Hognose Snakes ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: FR at Fri Mar 21 09:31:49 2014  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by FR ]  

Let me try again, brumate/hibernate are words that describe a state. Most think they describe winter sleeping. So if you have a couple hundred snakes in brumation and one develops eggs in brumation, it was not bromating. That is easy to understand.

Back in the seventies, I had lots of kings of all types. At that time I hibernated them, hibernate was the word of choice at that time, Brumate came later to describe the same action.

A friend gave me a wild caught four foot long, Knob pyro. It was the nicest colored animal. IT have been held in the field in a 50 gallon drum, for months outside. IT was skinny as a rail.

So all my snakes were hibernating in a air conditioned room, aprox 55 to 60F. I would check them out from time to time and noticed that pyro was crawl more then the others, so I offered it a fuzzie, it ate it. Well it ate all winter with no added heat, in a hibernation room. So I made a note to myself, that pyro was not hibernating and feed well and passed stool well.

Lets speed up to now, I rarely hibernate snakes these days, but I did this year. A number of kings an a trio of hogs. The room is in the forties at night and no higher then 60 in the day. I'll be danged if the kings have been feeding for months with no problems and they can barely work their jaws to swallow.

The hogs on the other hand are cold and barely can move. So in the same room at the same temps, some are hibernating(old term) some are not.

A related statement, this is why I say hibernation/brumation is not required for reproduction, but cool temps are. end part 1

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: part 2, in situ snakes - FR, Fri Mar 21 09:39:01 2014

<< Previous Message:  RE: 4 days out of brumation and I have eggs! - wohlerswi, Thu Mar 20 15:26:47 2014