return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Healthy Herp
pool banner - $50 year

RE: European Fire Salamander Larvae--HELP!!!

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Salamanders & Newts ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: OrangeHeterodon at Mon Apr 7 19:31:41 2014  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by OrangeHeterodon ]  

Hopefully this isn't too late.

I use to breed Eastern Newts for fun until it got to be too much, then I gave some to education, and returned the rest to the lake with surrounding wetlands that I acquired the adults from near my house. That is my experience and here is my point:

What I did, considering you only have 14 this should be easy, is a half and half enclosure. I set up a large 30 gallon holding tub (shallow and wide) with a self-made screen top -- really easy and I'll explain in a sec. I then filled the bottom with gravel and pushed it all to one side of the cage. This way, when the larvae were ready to become full-fledged efts, they could make the move to land without me being present. I added several clubs of "terrarium moss" bought in a box from my local pet store as well as some "frog moss" which was boxed sphagnum moss. I am pretty sure that you have figured out filtration and feeding by this point, not to mention your care is for a dif species. Basically just add gravel in an area that makes a gradual progression to an elevated land area.

Ok here is how I secured the top. I took the top of the 30 gallon tub and 4 inches in from the side and down from the top I made an incision with a strong pocket knife. I then took a saw (in this case also on the knife) and cut out an area on the lid of the tub. I then stapled a wire screen over the lid of the cage after making sure it was pulled tight and voila.

Hope this helps!

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  Tilden park salamander - 4dnospolk, Tue Apr 8 17:35:53 2014
<< Previous topic:  preserved/ frozen fire salamander - bballengee, Thu Dec 5 14:52:39 2013