return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Healthy Herp
pool banner - $50 year

RE: advice from an old guy

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Hognose Snakes ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: FR at Mon Apr 7 11:31:22 2014  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by FR ]  

Having done what your doing, I can offer some advice. Question what you read, not believe it or not, question two basic areas.
1. is this information in context for your purposes, is it useful
2. question methods, this area is extremely important. Sometimes the methods used to take data is extremely odd. One example from a famous well known Great herper, Walter Auffenburg. We, several varanid authors, biologists and I, were discussing useful temps and body temps of varanids. I published useable normal basking temps of 135F to 150F, as recommended temps. They countered with Auffenburgs paper on lethal temps in varanids. My temps were tested and true and produced extremely successful results in all areas. Auffenburgs temps were academic. That is, not applied to the context of the discussion. The debate was long and boring, so I asked, why don't you guys research the paper, one did. Then that one, an author of several books, stated what Auffenburg did was wrong. Auffenburg, obtained his data from tying monitors to a post in the sun and measuring the temps at death. Which is completely out of context to how monitors or any reptile uses heat. And WRONG. Yet its was published in peer review. That data is about as useless as data can get(my opinion) and for many reasons, temp tolerance is based on size, and conditions. Maximum temps are based on the ability do cool, not the heat itself. long thin reptiles, can move to cool areas and loss body heat quickly, thick heavy mass animals cannot. Aquatic types, are normally dark and absorb heat quickly and take high temps, then drop in cool water and cool off quickly. Consider, dark(black) is not just absorbing heat, but also releasing heat. Auffenburgs paper stated 108F as lethal to a point of the cells turning to liquid. yet, varanids, had no problem with short term body temps over 108F, in fact, expressed superior results. Any questions

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  S.I.M. container??? - bulldogger75, Sun Apr 6 21:36:44 2014
<< Previous topic:  batch of duds? - geckoejon, Fri Apr 4 06:50:13 2014