return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Reintroduced Siamese Crocodile exhibits first time nesting . . . . . . . . . .  Can a virus save Frogs from fungal disease? . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Another nesting thread

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Kingsnake Forum ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: AaronBayer at Tue Apr 29 09:19:41 2014  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by AaronBayer ]  

The female looks great... just slightly thin. she will be fed all that she wants for a couple weeks or until she looks 100% normal again. I wont attempt to double clutch though as i'm leaving for Africa in october until next may and dont want to have too many babies around for my wife to care for.

yes this is the quickest shed to lay i've ever seen, normally with boxes it's taken 4-5 days in most occasions and 7-9 days on a couple occasions.

the point of my test was to just see the snake choose burrowing in substrate and nesting rather than using the man-made box. I used 2 substrates just to see what she would pick if she decided to burrow and the center of the cage kinda had a mixture of moss, sand, soil... she was firmly in the soil/sand mixture though.

If the corns also go with the soil side, i'll drop moss all together in the future and keep the soil/sand mixture for the entire tank. If the corns pick the moss side, I'll just have two tanks, 1 with soil and 1 with moss to put applicable females in.

once the substrate is the same for the entire tank, i'll play around with different items on top such as a nesting box, piece of tile, and large flat rock similar to the tile but heavier.

I'll also play around with making one side more humid/moist than the other side. Or one side warmer than the other. Seems like there are a lot of possibilities to play around with using this method rather than forcing to snake to use whatever the keeper deems appropriate.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Another nesting thread - FR, Tue Apr 29 09:58:10 2014

<< Previous Message:  RE: Another nesting thread - FR, Tue Apr 29 09:04:24 2014