return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
click here for Rodent Pro  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
RodentPro.com - feeders for less!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Polar Rodents - US based provider of frozen rats and mice.
pool banner - $50 year

Rubber Boa Turning White

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Rubber Boas ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: RandonCaleb at Sun May 18 16:59:38 2014  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by RandonCaleb ]  

About a month and a half ago I received a rubber boa from a friend of mine. It hasn't eaten since I've had it, I offered it food last week, 3 pinkie mice but it just pushed them around, never seemed to take interest in eating. That's not the main concern, I have some ideas to try and stimulate a feeding response, but tips and tricks for getting rubbers to eat would be appreciated. The real issue is that the boa is beginning to turn white. The scales that are turning white look like perfectly normal scales except that they lack pigment. After doing research online I read that sometimes snakes will start to turn calico later in life. It happens a lot in retics and corns. Another thing I read is that some snakes lose scale pigment from coming in contact with certain types of plastic, like plastic water bowls. It happens sometimes to dogs noses when they have plastic water bowls, their noses start to turn pink. It also said that losing pigment does particularly harm the snake, so would leaving the plastic water bowl in the tank be considered cruel, or just an experiment...? (wouldn't it be interesting to see and all white rubber boa?)

Also, if you'd like to see pictures of the boa I can find a way to send them to you, is there a way to post them on here? I'm new to this forum.

Thanks,
-Randon

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Rubber Boa Turning White - RichardFHoyer, Mon May 26 23:47:44 2014